» News

Moyock Office Attorneys & Staff Open for Business

The Twiford Law Firm’s Moyock Office Attorneys and Staff are Open for Business!  The Firm’s Moyock based attorneys and staff have temporarily relocated to it’s Elizabeth City Office. The staff may be reached at it’s exist…
Categories: News

Brothers sworn in as member of NC Bar

Attorney Megan Brothers was sworn in as a member of the NC Bar on October 8th, 2014. Ms. Brothers is a native of Currituck County and is a graduate of the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law-Campbell University. Judge Amber Davis presided over the Ce…
Categories: News

North Carolina Property and Name Change Laws in Marriage

NORTH CAROLINA PROPERTY AND NAME CHANGE LAWS IN MARRIAGE Per NC marriages laws, the new husband and wife automatically assume certain legal rights and obligations arising from their marriage contract. For example, upon marriage each spouse now ha…
Categories: News

Ceremony and North Carolina Marriage Licenses

CEREMONY AND NORTH CAROLINA MARRIAGE LICENSES Marriage can be conducted in either a civil or religious ceremony. A civil ceremony is conducted by a magistrate, who is the only civil officer authorized to perform marriages. A religious ceremony ca…
Categories: News

North Carolina Marriage Laws and Minors

NORTH CAROLINA MARRIAGE LAWS AND MINORS North Carolina marriage laws place limits on who can marry based on the person’s age and blood relationship to their prospective spouse. A minor between the ages of 16-18 years of age may marry only i…
Categories: News

Mediation in Separation and Divorce

MEDIATION IN SEPARATION AND DIVORCE Mediation is when a neutral third party helps facilitate an agreement between the parties. The mediator does not make decisions. The parties make the decisions, but the mediator helps them along. You can do pri…
Categories: News

How Child Support is Determined

If  the parties’ combined income is less than $300,000 per year, child support is determined based on the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines. There are generally four numbers that are needed to calculate child support: 1) Mother’s gross …
Categories: News

Domestic Violence: How to Get a Civil Restraining Order

Domestic Violence: How to Get a Civil Restraining Order You have to file a Complaint (lawsuit) seeking a Domestic Violence Protective Order (otherwise known as a restraining order or as a “50B”). If it is at night or on a weekend, you do this thr…
Categories: News

Two Year Waiting Period for Divorce???????

Attorney Courtney Hull – “I wanted to share the following with visitors to The Twiford Law Firm, P.C. website.   This proposed legislation, if approved, would  crerate a major change in the divorce process in North Carolina.” &nb…
Categories: News


Child Support and Extracurricular Expenses Generally speaking both parents split the cost of the basic childcare needs. Such things as daycare, food, clothing, etc…. The court will apportion each parent’s obligation respective to each parent’s…
Categories: News


Schedule a Consultation

Fill out our online form